Thursday, May 8, 2008

Happy Birthday

Yesterday was Israel's 60th birthday, marked by numerous celebrations commemorating the nation's struggle for independence in 1948. I wrote a poem (posted below) to commemorate the continued struggle towards a truly democratic, peaceful nation that can be celebrated by all of Abraham's sons and daughters.

Birthday

Toddler in men's trousers,
Sucking your thumb through a cocked pistol.
Is the trigger in your mouth?
But you're pointing it at me.

Ancient stains on a tainted land -
Did He keep His promise?
Birthright through bloodshed,
And no one to tell the emperor he's naked.

The keys to the temple are here,
But we search in darkness.
Where did we meet last we found each other?
Take my hand, my brother.

Sixty candles coated in honey,
But the milk is burning.
Can you see?
Can you see me?

No comments: